(401) 400-0306

Our Story

Rumford in History and Today

Rumford Center began in 1856 as Rumford Chemical Works, producing and shipping baking powder across the nation and around the world. At its height of activity around the turn of the century, Rumford Chemical included 300 acres of working farms and communities to sustain the factory workers, and the Village of Rumford was called the “kitchen capital of the world.” Since closing in 1968, 1968, the factory buildings have fallen into disrepair.

Purchased in 2006 by PK Rumford LLC, the old Chemical Works is getting a new life. The remaining factory buildings occupied 8.3 acres and accommodate apartments, office space, retail shops, a restaurant and café.

Rumford Center has brought new vitality to the historic Rumford neighborhood. More than just another development, Rumford Center has become an economic, historical and cultural engine which has revitalized the village.

Designated a National Chemical Historic Landmark in June, 2006, Rumford Center continues to celebrate its heritage in visual and cultural displays that will lead the way for further sensitive evolution for the town, the city of East Providence, and beyond.

Want to learn more about the history of Rumford Center and its celebrated Baking Powder? Visit the wonderful East Providence Historical Society Museum, or visit the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C. to see how the evolution of this great sight came to be.  Video of this journey can be viewed here:  Rumford Center – Yesterday & Today

pic3

Now Showing Loft Apartments. Please call for an appointment (401) 400-0306